Tuesday, October 2, 2012

We found mascot? Plus thruhull and sea cock replacement.

Since we own a Seafarer, I think its only fitting that Seafarer matches are the only official matches allowed on the boat!
The matches are a match for this, a brass oil lamp. "Oil lamp?" you say, "Thats old school!". But the beauty of an oil lamp is that it does not draw battery power! On a sailboat at anchor or at sea, one has to be miserly with power consumption.

It has been a frustrating four weeks working on the boat. We would get down there, work one day then life would kick us in the face and before you knew it a week would go by before we see her (the boat) again.

It has been slow progress changing the engine cooling water inlet thruhull and sea cock. what with grinding away at the hull to make room for the backing plate. Then Sunday, I ran out of resin $$$$. Like I said, slow. In my defense, this is my first thruhull/sea cock replacement and as it is such a critical piece of equipment it will be done right and way over engineered. When I am done with this, you could set off a tactical nuke in the boat and the thruhull, sea cock and the reinforced section of hull will remain.

Running out of resin wasn't such a bad thing though. The wife and I chased down many leaks and sealed them up. We had some massive rain and they were easy to find.

Speaking of the wife, she is a trooper. I was on the ground strategizing my next move (Ok, Ok, I was playing with the portable generator), and when I boarded the boat my lovely wife was upside down, head buried in the engine room bilge cleaning it out. She came out oily and grimy. She was the most beautiful sight in the world. How many wives would do that?

Now that we found the battery charger for the camera, I will document the thruhull and sea cock replacement.

No comments:

Post a Comment