Thursday, December 6, 2018

Over heating Perkins

190 F, or 95 C, that's how hot the mighty Perkins have been running.

Obviously something is blocking the circulation somewhere, I am suspecting growth in my raw water thru-hull.

Or it could be a heat exchanger blocked.

Or the oil cooler has build up.

Or the closed loop, (anti-freeze/coolant), has scaled up.

Or the exhaust system has a carbon build up and is restricting flow.

Well, the raw water pump is new, I removed the heat exchange and descaled it, not that it needed it and the discharge out the exhaust seems good.

Soooo, I will try the easiest, (seems to me), way first. I will examine the exhaust system.

Then I must drain the closed loop and oil sump.

Remove the oil cooler and inspect and clean then install the oil cooler.

With the oil cooler installed, I must rig up a way to flush the closed loop of any build up. I have ideas.

Good thing we are here in Guatemala for a year or two as this is going to take some time. This does not even come close to the amount of upper deck work that remains to be done in order to continue our journey to wherever.

No comments:

Post a Comment