Saturday, December 8, 2012

Perkin 4-107 raw water pump removal and overhaul

Here is the pump removed and at my work bench at work. (I only work at it on my lunch hour). The impeller looks to be in good shape but the real reason for this picture is so that I have a record of the direction the impeller vanes have to face.
The impeller is out. I can't see how one can remove the impeller with the pump still attached to the engine. Perhaps it can be done but the hour I spent trying didn't work out in the least.

Here is a shot of the pump with the shaft and bearing pressed out And when I say pressed out, I mean I had to press them out with a hydraulic press. I will have a couple of rebuild kits on board, but my work on this tells me a complete spare pump must be available for repairs at sea.

This is a close up of the shaft hole with a back light trying to show you the damage caused by me while removing the seal. I chipped the seat where the seal sits. Poor design but I can remedy that.

Here is the pump and cover all sand blasted. The cover is just sitting on the pump. The pump has no guts, still trying to locate a parts supplier but strangely enough, not one Perkins dealer has got back to me yet after 5 days. I plan on researching the paint procedure. I would like to use a good primer on the brass body, then see if there is a home powder coating system for the actual paint job. I would like to get a Perkins blue so I can have a shiny part on my 1974 engine.

You see the damage on the left side of the recess in the pump? I did that with a hammer and punch, removing the seal. Looks bad and it is. But fortunately, or unfortunately, I have done this once or twice before as a marine engineer and it is repairable. I would normally secure a washer the same size in there, flip it over and apply a dab of Belzona Molecular Metal to it. Belzona is a resin type stuff that when cured, you can drill, thread and sand it. Won't be as tough as brass but it will give me a sealing lip to work with.

I am a cheap bastard and like doing things on my own. I have no problem with hiring people, I am going to pay someone to change my cutlass bearing after all, but I do like to save the cash. Sure I spend more time on stuff like this, but let me tell you, I will know every system once I work on it. I will have to know a lot just to be able to keep sailing after I retire in 3 1/2 years:)

3 comments:

  1. Well said, Allan! I especially like the part where you said, "I am a cheap bastard and like doing things on my own." That describes me, too! Yeah, I'm a cheap bastard too, but I also like to fix stuff on my own.

    Example: just a couple days ago, my wife pointed out that our cheap little $4 relaxing desktop water fountain stopped working. Rather than throw it away and spend $4 replacing it, I decided to take it apart and see if I could fix it. Twenty minutes later, I had it running like new. Apparently the minerals in the water had hardened and clogged the VERY TINY pump.

    I reminded Amy that I do things like that to ensure I can troubleshoot and repair things on my own since that'll be necessary when we're out cruising.

    Mike
    www.siochana.us

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mike, to be really honest, I cause some of the extra work....lol I learned to repair to spare me the humiliation of letting an outsider see my screw ups...lol

    Allan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great tutorial! Thank you! If you would like to go further, I found some interesting information on this website: www.nauticexpo.com/boat-manufacturer/impeller-pump-18202.html

    ReplyDelete