Saturday, May 25, 2013

A lathe, a machine for all ocasions

I work at a small hospital. I am one of 9 maintenance men there. n a back room, used for storage, I found this gem.
Last Thursday I loaded it up on furniture dollie, wheeled it around the hospitals parking lot to the chain hoist leading to the boiler room where I work. Lowered the beast n to the boiler room and set it up in my shop.

When I was in the Navy my trade was Marine Engineer, or stoker. Part of my training was a six months machinists' course. Of course, after that course I did very little work as a machinist.

So I am re-learning some skills here. One of my projects is to make two (2) bronze propeller nuts for my shaft. Trying to locate a source for hexagonal bronze rod is a bit of a chore though.

This has the potential to save me a bundle of money.

No comments:

Post a Comment